Question: We are planning a family trip this summer. How can we stay healthy and safe when we’re traveling?
When you travel, and especially if you are planning to take a trip internationally, it’s wise to consult a travel medicine professional from Columbia St. Mary’s TravelWORx program. TravelWORx staff provides expert care and advice to assist you in planning and preparing for healthy and safe travel anywhere in the world. Making travel as risk-free and as medically uneventful as possible is TravelWORx’s goal.
Top ten tips for travel
1. Before departure, get advice from a travel health professional such as the staff at CSM’s TravelWORx.
2. Let your body adjust to your surroundings when you arrive.
3. Protect yourself from disease-bearing insects.
4. Never go barefoot, even on the beach.
5. Make sure your water is purified.
6. Consume only well-cooked foods.
7. Be sure fruit and vegetables have been washed and peeled, or don’t eat them at all.
8. Make sure you have refilled your prescriptions, as they may not be available at your destination.
9. Use caution when swimming in rivers, lakes, and streams.
10. Check for comprehensive health insurance coverage before you travel.
Experienced with travelers of all ages, medical conditions and itineraries, TravelWORx will provide you with all the information you need, as well as vaccines and prescriptions to ensure you have the safest travel possible. TravelWORx subscribes to state-of-the-art proprietary travel information services and is here to assist you before, during and after your travel.
It’s recommended you make an appointment with a TravelWORx nurse or physician 30 to 60 days before your departure date to be sure any necessary vaccines will provide optimum protection against disease.
TravelWORx services include:
To schedule an appointment with a TravelWORx professional, please call one of our locations below or our Central Scheduling number, (262) 268-3185.
Gateway Medical Clinic
801 South 70th Street
West Allis, WI 53214
Port Washington Family Medical Clinic
1317 West Grand Avenue
Port Washington, WI 53094